Dreaming of building your own home? For so many, the idea never leaves the ‘dream’ phase, as the overwhelming thought of building something as complex as a home seems impossible.
Building your own home is a lengthy, heavily involved process, from the first stages of inception to the final stages of interior design. And, as such, having some assistance along the way, especially from an experienced Class-A General Contractor like RBC Homes, can make the process far more enjoyable.
Come with us as we explore the home-building process from top to bottom so you can decide if it’s right for you!
6 Factors to Consider When Building Your Custom Home
When it comes to building your own home, there are many factors to consider, from budget to location, and land to permitting. Let’s dive into a few key considerations you need to make before getting started!
1. The Pros and Cons of Building Your Own Home
Of course, building a home isn’t for everyone, which is why it’s worth considering the pros and cons.
|Customization Perfection||Time and Effort|
|Less Competition||Unexpected Costs|
|Energy-Efficiency||Possibility of Mistakes|
- Customization Perfection: When you have a specific floor plan in mind for a particular location, choosing to build your own home grants you the ultimate level of control. Building your home allows you to actively shape every decision in the construction process, ensuring that it aligns precisely with your vision and personal tastes.
- Less Competition: After purchasing the land, you won’t have to worry about anyone competing for your dream home site.
- Energy-Efficiency: All of our homes prioritize energy efficiency from the ground up. If you’re environmentally conscious and wish to minimize your ecological footprint (all while saving money), you can work with us to integrate energy-efficient materials and equipment into your new home.
- Save Money: In many ways, building your own home can be more cost-effective than buying an existing one, as pre-built homes are often associated with high costs and typically come with less built in energy efficiencies. Let RBC Homes guide you through the process so you can invest your money wisely.
- Time and Effort: It comes as no surprise that building your own home requires a significant time investment. From careful planning to months of execution, the process can be very involved, which is why our team at RBC Homes aims to streamline the process for each client.
- Unexpected Costs: Unexpected costs appear from time to time. However, with an experienced home builder like RBC Homes, you can take advantage of diligent budget management and transparent pricing to minimize costs creeping up.
- Possibility of Mistakes: There are many decisions that go into building a home, and as such, the possibility of making mistakes is all too real. However, with close attention to detail and the right know-how, lessening the likelihood of issues along the way is possible.
2. Who Should Consider Building Their Own Home?
While building your own home can be incredibly rewarding, it’s not for everyone.
However, if the idea of customizing a home to your exact specifications and standards sounds invigorating and inviting, or if you’re simply looking to make a long-term investment in a luxury custom home for rental or vacation purposes, it could most certainly be the right path for you.
3. The Role of a Custom Home Builder Company
So, now that you’ve decided that building your own home is something you’d like to do, it’s worth thinking about how collaborating with a custom home-building company like RBC Homes could be beneficial.
We work hard to simplify the home-building process by offering a wealth of guidance and expertise. It’s important that every decision you make is informed and aligned with your vision and your budget.
With RBC Homes by your side, you can focus on watching your dream home come to life while we do the work.
- Contact us today to learn more!
4. How a Custom Home Builder Company Can Help
Provide Expertise and Guidance
Every home-building journey is unique.
In some instances, our clients approach us with a well-detailed design, including floor plans and interior design concepts. On the other hand, some people come to us without any idea of what they want, relying on us to shape it into a tangible vision.
No matter the case, we can provide expert guidance throughout the process.
From the initial design phase to permitting for local building and zoning codes, RBC Homes takes charge of the entire process.
Not only do we want your unique vision to come to life, but we also want to ensure that your project adheres to all local regulations and requirements so you don’t have to deal with any messy legal issues down the line.
The idea of investing in a home that begins to deteriorate shortly after moving in is a nightmarish scenario which can be avoided by way of your collaboration with a custom home builder like RBC Homes. Rest assured that exceptional quality isn’t just a concept with RBC Homes; rather, it’s a promise.
We have well-established relationships with industry-leading partners, including top-notch architects, designers, and other vetted skilled subcontractors who will work under our direction and with our coordination on your project.
Plus, our team takes on all of the administrative functions and responsibilities through the construction process, lifting a significant burden off your shoulders.
- We kindly invite you to check out our Gallery and find out more!
Building your own home project demands seamless coordination and precise construction management.
When you work hand in hand with RBC Homes, you can trust us to oversee every aspect of the building process. It’s our goal to make sure timelines are met, resources are optimized, quality is upheld from top to bottom, and your budget is met.
As we said before, the custom home-building journey can feel overwhelming. There are just about a million things to worry about.
We strive to make sure that you know your project is in capable hands, which is why our seasoned team of professionals takes care of every detail, leaving you free to enjoy the process without stress.
5. The Building Process: Overview of The Five Steps Involved
Knowing what it is involved in building your own home is one thing; knowing how to build a custom home is another.
Here’s a brief overview of the journey you can expect.
- NOTE: For further details, check our article “How to Build a Custom Home“
Step #1. Planning
The building process starts with meticulous planning.
At the very outset, well before construction commences, it’s crucial to start shaping your vision of your “dream home.” Begin by gathering inspiration from design samples, photos, completed home tours, and visiting the numerous resources which can be found on-line.
Speak with an experienced custom home builder, like RBC Homes, which can assist you in refining your design preferences, and guide you through the process of material and equipment selections, room functionality, architectural style, product features, and lifestyle aspects that will make your custom home truly perfect for you.
An experienced custom home builder can assist you in choosing your ideal lot, assist you in securing the right type of financing, assist you in the establishment of a budget, provide your lender with required financial and other information required for loan approval, determine setback and height restrictions, evaluate impacts of easements and encroachments, and secure the necessary permits. If all of this sounds a bit overwhelming, know that RBC Homes has the experience and know-how to guide you successfully through all potential pitfalls leading up to the start of construction, and ensuring a solid foundation for your dream home before the construction process takes place.
Step #2. Building
Once the planning, financing, and permitting phase of building your own home is complete, we’ll begin the actual building process.
The first steps are to clear and grade the land, secure temporary power, install the “ground works” (sewer and water services) under foundation, make certain the lot is properly graded so as to divert water away from the home, and then install the all-important foundation upon which you new custom home will be constructed.
Next, we move onto the selection and installation of the right type of foundation which will quite literally support the weight of your new home during your lifetime and for generations to come. Selection of the proper foundation for your unique building lot is crucial, and the seasoned pros at RBC Homes know exactly what type of foundations work in varying soils and environmental conditions. Once the foundation is selected and installed, the framing process can begin, followed by the installation of windows and doors, completion of the roof, the “rough-in” of plumbing, heating & cooling, and electrical systems; this is where you’ll see your dream home begin to come to life.
Step #3. Interior and Exterior Touches
Once the roofing is finished, the home is insulated, and the plumbing and electrical systems installed, walls and ceilings completed, we can begin adding interior and exterior touches.
Your stylistic choices will come into play with interior finishes, as this step includes painting, flooring, cabinetry, countertops, and other interior elements that make the house your home.
Similarly, we’ll finish the exterior landscaping, implementing outdoor features of your choice, such as pathways, garden beds, grass lawns, hedges, pools, or anything else that you want to enhance the overall aesthetic of your new property. We can even help you plan and install “maintenance-free” exterior landscaping via the use of start of the art astro-turf, the use of river rock and other maintenance-free materials.
Step #4. Moving In
Once your home is complete, it’s time to start moving in and decorating!
Our team at RBC Homes has years of experience in interior design, so we can offer assistance with the furnishing of your new space once you’re done building your own home. From choosing color schemes to configuring the placement, purchase and installation of all furnishings and decorations, we’ll help you curate a cohesive and inviting interior that aligns with your style.
Of course, beyond looking good, your new place needs to be functional, which is why we’ll also help set up essential systems and utilities. This involves connecting appliances and making sure electrical and plumbing systems are functioning correctly.
Step #5. Adding a Personal Touch
The final step is adding your own personal touches.
Hang some of your favorite artwork, put family photos on display, and place some plants around the house. This is where you can make your home your haven.
Whether you’re still in the idea phase or ready to get started with construction, get in touch with us here at RBC Homes to get the ball rolling on your new custom home!
RBC Portfolio & Gallery: Showcasing Our Unique Projects
Need some inspiration for building your own home?
Our portfolio showcases some of our many successful projects here in Virginia Beach. Let’s take a look at some of our favorite custom homes:
Happy As a Clam
One of our latest builds is an investment property for a family who wanted to rent out to vacationers on a short-term basis.
This eight-bedroom Virginia Beach home features a stylish, maintenance-free interior and exterior, as well as a fully enclosed geothermal heating system to combat the environmental elements of coastal living.
RBC Homes built this family a home in 2007 to enjoy as a summer home before updating it three years later to reinvigorate the living experience.
Now, this gorgeous Virginia Beach home features a third-level gourmet kitchen, open ocean views, eight master suits, a spacious game room with a pool table and wet bar, and a beautiful pool area with an outdoor cabana.
When it comes to our direct beachfront homes, All-Sea-Suns is one of our favorites.
You’ll find a number of high-end amenities in this eight-bedroom masterpiece, including third-floor ocean views, a large saltwater pool, a covered patio with a hot tub, a large screened-in porch, and a massive kitchen with two of every major appliance.
This home was also constructed with accessibility in mind, as you’ll find an ADA-compliant bedroom and bathroom, a centrally-located elevator, wide doors and hallways, and ramps.
Now, we come to the big question, “How much does building your own home cost?”
Here’s a small breakdown of the cost of building your own home, no matter what the general specs of your project look like.
- Land Acquisition: The first step of building your own home is securing a land plot. The cost, of course, will vary based on size, location, and market conditions.
- Architectural and Engineering: Think of these fees as investments in the expertise needed to create a safe, aesthetically pleasing home that meets both structural and regulatory requirements.
- Permit and Zoning Expenses: Don’t find yourself in a messy legal battle years down the line. By understanding local zoning regulations and obtaining necessary permits, you can ensure your home is built according to local laws and safety standards.
- Site Survey and Soil Analysis: While it may not be the first thing that comes to mind, understanding the land’s topography and soil composition can have a major impact on construction methods.
- Materials: If you want your home to last for years to come, it has to use high-quality materials, from the foundation to the roofing.
- Labor: Skilled labor is essential for a successful build, which is why we only collaborate with experienced craftsmen and construction teams.
- Equipment and Machinery: Because we’re always looking to streamline construction so our clients can enjoy their homes sooner than later, we like to integrate modern equipment and machinery into the process.
From point A to point B, RBC Homes can provide the best combination of quality and price to make sure your dream home is both a testament to craftsmanship and a practical financial decision.
Get in touch with us today, so we can start building your dream home together.
Building your own home can be a life-changing experience, and here at RBC Homes, we want to help you turn those ideas into your new reality.
As you embark on this exciting adventure, remember that you’re not alone. We’ll be your trusted partner every step of the way, offering more than 30 years of expertise and guidance.
When you’re ready to take the first step, contact RBC Homes today!