In 2022, we saw a near 28% increase in custom home building, showing that the trend of individuality is in.
At RBC Homes, our team of distinguished luxury custom home builders has over 30 years of experience. With that, we know what it means to craft a residence that speaks to someone’s personal style.
From our lovely All-Sea-Suns property in Sandbridge, VA, to our Aquatic Beach award-winner in Virginia Beach, VA, our success stories speak for themselves. Now, we want to help you.
No matter your vision, this guide will show you everything you can expect if you’re planning on building a custom home.
The Dream of Building a Custom Home
If you think about it, a custom home is the largest canvas for self-expression many people get. There’s nothing like watching your vision come to life while injecting your personality into every element of the architectural design.
Need a dedicated home office? How about an airy, open-concept kitchen? No matter the idea, you can tailor a custom-built home to suit your unique needs
Today, we’re going to focus more on the considerations of constructing a custom home.
- However, if you’re looking for a comprehensive guide on the actual process, our “How to Build a Custom Home” article provides a more in-depth, step-by-step process.
- You can also explore our luxury custom homes article if premium features are your priority.
If, when all is said and done, you’re feeling inspired, get in contact with our team at RBC Homes!
Custom Home vs. Pre-Built Home:
To build a custom home or purchase a pre-built one — this is the question.
Knowing which one is the right choice means looking at the differences between the two.
Let’s dig in.
Custom Homes: Pros and Cons
Custom homes offer a number of unique advantages and disadvantages. In this analysis, we will examine some of the main positive and negative characteristics of a custom built home.
Custom Homes represent an attractive choice for those looking for a bespoke residence with unique designs and high quality materials. However, it is important to consider personal needs carefully before committing to a customized building project.
|Pros of Custom Homes
|Cons of Custom Homes
|Ultra-tailored and unique designs
|Longer construction times
|Ability to incorporate smart and energy-efficient features
|Complex decision-making process
Bonus: Other 3 Factors to Consider When Building a Custom Home:
- A Tailored Fit: When you opt for a custom home, you have the unique opportunity to tailor it to your needs from head to toe. Sure, pre-built homes can be convenient in that they’re ready to go right away. However, because they’re built with a broader audience in mind, you won’t get the same level of uniqueness catered to your individual needs and wants.
- Quality and Craftsmanship: As a Class A licensed luxury custom home builder, RBC Homes places a premium on quality and craftsmanship. Don’t settle for anything but the best. While not all pre-built homes are poorly constructed, it’s difficult to know about the actual craftsmanship if you haven’t had a hand in it. Our custom homes here at RBC feature quality materials like reinforced foundations, top-end roofing, proper insulation, energy-efficient windows and doors, and top-of-the-line flooring. Think thoughtful architectural design that enhances flow, construction techniques that adhere to precise measurements, and high-end safety features for peace of mind.
- Complete Personalization: The freedom to create a living space that is uniquely yours, from the layout to the finishing touches.
- Longevity: Not having to worry about compromising or making costly renovations down the road.
- Energy Efficiency: Custom homes can be designed with the latest energy-efficient technologies and sustainable materials, meaning lower utility bills and reduced environmental impact.
Pre-Built Homes: Pros and Cons
Pre-built homes, also known as modular or prefab homes, offer an alternative to the traditional custom home construction process. They are constructed partially or entirely off-site in a factory or controlled environment, offering several advantages and considerations. It is important to understand them before making a decision.
In this analysis, we will look at some of the main positive and negative characteristics of these types of housing
|Pros of Pre-Built Homes
|Cons of Custom Homes
|Faster move-in time
|Limited customization options
|Potential quality loss
|Less design uncertainty
In summary, pre-built homes offer a more budget-friendly, predictable, and easily financed option, but they come with limitations in terms of customization, quality, uniqueness, and potential resale value. Prefab homes represent an attractive option for those who want to move into a house faster with a lower initial cost.
Making the Right Choice for You
While both custom and pre-built homes have their merits, the flexibility, quality, and personalization that come with a custom home make it an appealing choice for many.
When choosing between a pre-built and custom home, consider your priorities and long-term goals to make the best decision for your unique needs and lifestyle. It’s also advisable to consult with builders and real estate professionals to explore the options available in your area and make an informed decision that aligns with your vision and financial goals.
In the following paragraphs, we will delve into tips, trends, and ideas to guide you through the exciting journey of building your dream custom home.
Identifying Your Vision
As we said before, your new home begins with your vision.
The question is, how do we take that vision and refine it in a way that’s functional for the building process?
- Consider Your Lifestyle: What kind of lifestyle do you want your new home to support? Are you an avid chef? Do you love hanging outdoors? Allow your lifestyle to shape the design of your custom home.
- Prioritize Your Needs: Make a list of your essentials. Do you need a home office? Extra bedrooms for guests or a growing family? A spacious kitchen for entertaining?
- Visualize Your Aesthetic: Consider your favorite design style. Whether you’re drawn to modern, minimalist interiors or the classic coastal look, RBC Homes can help make your new house fit your style.
Check out our Gallery page for some inspiration!
Custom Home Trends
While your custom home should be a reflection of you, it’s worth looking into current trends so that your home doesn’t feel dated. Here are some of the best and biggest trends in custom home designs which are understandably shaping the future of luxury living:
- Sustainable Architecture: Sustainability is no longer just a buzzword; it’s a way of life. Custom home builders are increasingly incorporating eco-friendly features into their designs, such as solar panels, geothermal heating and cooling systems, energy-efficient windows, and green roofing systems.
- Minimalism: Think clean lines, open spaces, and the “less is more” philosophy. Many of our custom homes emphasize simplicity and functionality, using neutral color palettes and uncluttered spaces.
- Natural Integration: Bring the outdoors inside by integrating with your natural surroundings. Large windows and outdoor living spaces blur the lines between indoor and outdoor living while incorporating elements like indoor gardens or water fountains can promote a connection to nature.
Top 5 Inspiring Ideas
Once you have a clear vision of your custom home, it’s time to start thinking about ways to go above and beyond so that it’s truly exceptional. Here are the top five ways to elevate your custom house:
1. Customizing the Floorplan
A custom floor plan is like a tailored suit – it fits perfectly. Pre-built homes use fixed layouts, which might not be the most functional for you and your family. On the other hand, when building a custom home, you get the opportunity to optimize your living spaces.
Whether you want an open-concept kitchen for big family dinners or a cozy nook for late-night reading, you can make sure every square foot serves a purpose.
2. Material Selection and High-End Finishes
Luxury is in the details. The materials and finishes you choose for your custom home can make a world of difference.
Consider premium materials like granite or quartz countertops, hardwood flooring, and designer lighting fixtures.
3. Smart Home Technology
The future of living is now, and smart home tech is in.
The beauty of smart home features is that they offer convenience, efficiency, and security unlike we’ve never seen before. Imagine being able to control the lighting, temperature, and entertainment systems in your home with the touch of a button or a voice command.
Some of the best smart technology can even cut down on your energy costs, saving you tons of money in the long run.
4. Outdoor Space
Your living space doesn’t have to end at the walls of your home. Why not build an outdoor area you can enjoy too?
From landscaped gardens to tropical pools, there are infinite ways to integrate your outdoor areas into your custom home design. These spaces create the perfect backdrop for entertaining guests and making your home a space people want to come to.
5. Personalizing Space
When building a custom house, it should be a reflection of you, which is why you might consider personalizing specific areas like your home office or hobby room. Are you a painter? Design a space that inspires your passion. Maybe you’re a cinephile? Consider building an entertainment space with a dedicated bar or home theater. These personalized touches can be game-changers.
Tips for Building a Custom Home
There’s nothing quite as rewarding as building a custom home. However, without careful planning and thoughtful decisions, the experience can turn disastrous. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you embark on the path to creating your dream custom home:
1. Start Planning Early
The key to any successful custom home project is early planning. The more time you invest in this initial phase, the better your custom home will reflect your unique preferences.
2. Set a Budget
One of the biggest pitfalls people fall into is not being realistic about their financial capabilities. This is where working with the right team can come in handy. We can help you create a budget that aligns with your vision and make a plan and stick to it.
3. Be Flexible
We can’t understate the importance of flexibility. Expect the unexpected, and know that you might need to be flexible along the way when it comes to your design. Embracing change and trusting the expertise of your custom home builder can take you far.
4. Hire the Right Professionals
When building a custom home, you want a team of experts with a proven track record.
At RBC Homes, now celebrating our 30th year, we pride ourselves on our dream team and are ready to turn your dream into a reality.
5. Enjoy the Process
Finally, remember that building a custom home is exciting! Enjoy the journey. So many of our clients tell us how exciting it is to watch their dream houses take shape. It’s the real American dream, so take pride in the fact that you’re here and working through the process.
Pitfalls to Avoid When Building Your Custom Home
Though building your custom dream home should be an exciting journey, there are a few challenges to consider.
|Rushing into the process without a clear plan can lead to costly changes and delays.
|Take the time to carefully plan every aspect of your custom home, from the layout and design to the budget and timeline.
|Going over budget is an all too common challenge, and unexpected costs can quickly add up if not properly considered and accounted for.
|Be realistic about your budget from the get-go and stick to it. Allow for contingencies to handle unexpected expenses that may arise during construction.
|Being too rigid in your design can make it all the more frustrating when unexpected issues or opportunities arise.
|While having a clear vision is great, it’s equally important to be open to adjustments and changes as the project progresses.
|Miscommunication or a lack of communication with your builder can result in misunderstandings and delays when building a custom home.
|Establish open and frequent communication with your builder and the entire project team. Regular updates and discussions can help prevent issues from escalating.
|Choosing inexperienced or untrustworthy builders can lead to a myriad of problems during construction.
|Rely on reputable builders who have a proven track record of excellence.
At RBC Homes, we specialize in turning your dream into a reality and understand the importance of addressing the earlier challenges. Rely on reputable builders like us, with a proven track record of excellence.
Contact us today to embark on your journey toward a beautifully crafted, one-of-a-kind luxury home. Your dream home is just a call away.
Check RBC Homes Outstanding Gallery & Portfolio:
If it wasn’t clear enough by now, our team at RBC Homes takes immense pride in turning visions into reality.
We invite you to explore some inspiring examples of the remarkable projects we’ve had the pleasure of working on.
And don’t just take our word for it – explore our Testimonials page to hear from those who have entrusted us to bring their dreams to life.
Success Story: Aquatic Dreams
The nine-bedroom, ADA-compliant Aquatic Dreams is one of our most progressive builds, with views of the Atlantic Ocean to the east and Back Bay to the west. This coastal gem boasts dual outdoor living spaces, a luxurious swimming pool, a two-story cabana, and an open-concept living space that seamlessly integrates custom-designed kitchens and spacious dining areas.
Success Story: Count Your Blessings
RBC Homes crafted this unique retreat for a family who cherishes their Sandbridge vacations.
One of its distinctive features is the sunken pool, which is seamlessly integrated into the expansive composite deck, complete with a delightful cabana bar. Additionally, in keeping with RBC Homes’ commitment to safety and long-term resilience when building a custom home, we elevated the foundation beyond the FEMA standard of being two feet above base flood levels.
Success Story: Summer Baycation
Creating this home presented a unique challenge due to the irregular shape of the lot. However, we approached it with confidence and ended up with a splendidly comfortable seven-bedroom home.
The features of this extraordinary residence include a generously sized master suite, a dedicated game room, a convenient two-car garage, an outdoor bathroom, a refreshing swimming pool, an inviting cabana bar, a screened-in porch, and a second-floor dining deck.
Build a Custom Home with RBC Homes
Building a custom home is a transformative journey. Here at RBC Homes, we understand the profound joy and satisfaction that comes from crafting a house that perfectly aligns with your personal tastes and needs.
The journey starts with you and your imagination.
When you’re ready to turn your dream into a reality, we invite you to take the first step and contact us.
We can’t wait to work with you!